WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM OF THE BIRDS

we're just a family of finches making our way in the town w/o a frown.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

they do run run run, they do run run

i told you that i would let you know how the "retraining" was going, and...wow this is tough stuff. being as out of shape as I've let myself get and as heavy as I've let myself get is making this effort very difficult. I'm taking it one step at a time, but some of those steps are slower than i want. we did a timed mile for starters on Saturday and monkey came in at 11 minutes and 36 seconds, woohoo for her. that's right someone start the wave. she would have finished faster, but she decided to jog/walk with me for half a lap. i finished my mile in 14 minutes and 55 seconds. i did my best to jog/run the curves and only walk on the straights. i kept to the middle lane for this endeavor as well, so i got a little extra length in my jog. i only ran until i started to feel like i wash pushing too hard, i know that if i get past my "point" i will be sick for several days attempting to recoup. i am learning to read my body's signals as to how long and how much is OK for me. i am also staying positive. i shouldn't expect myself to be able to keep up/compete with people who are in a healthier state of being than i am.

that's an important part for me. i am a perfectionist and i want to be the best at everything i do. this may come with time, but it will not be a quick thing. it will take me time, energy, and the willpower to keep going. will there be days that i want to quit, oh yeah, and that's when my cheerleaders will cheer their loudest. yeah, i called in my friends to keep me going. they are an amazing group capable of great things, so I'm glad they've agreed to take up cheering me on. I've really been trying to keep positive about myself while reshaping and retraining my body and mind. i didn't get to be where i am over night, nor should i expect to get where i want to be overnight. instead of saying "I'm so fat and this is too hard", I'm shouting "i just need to retrain myself to choose better."

Sunday afternoon i did a 30 minute yoga workout that i got from walmart on DVD. it has 2 programs flow and hatha. i did the the hatha program and was amazed at how much i liked it. i felt so relaxed and limber. i have never done yoga before, so i wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm excited about doing the flow program tomorrow. I'm trying not to "over work" my body, but at the same time keep it in motion so it doesn't lock up. i decided to take yesterday as a "rest" day as recommended and woke up barely able to walk today. yeah, that's not going to work if i need to chase down little sweeties.

today i went for day 2 of "retraining" and i walked a lap before my "instructor" arrived. when she got there the real fun began. we did a 3 minute walk and then we (ran 1 minute, walked 1 minute) 10 times. wow that keep running business is tough. when i finished i was 1 tired girl, but i did it. i didn't stop, not once, which is pretty good for a pre-beginner such as me. i plan on meeting a friend for a good walk tomorrow and then Thursday back to the track for retraining. i am noticing little changes already, like junk food doesn't look as appealing as it did last Tuesday. I'm drinking LOTS of fluids. oh yeah, i weighed myself this morning and I've lost 5 pounds. i know, I'm a bit blown away. i completely expected to put on weight before it began to drop off.

again i say thanks for keeping up with me, i hope to do this every "track star Tuesday". I'm loving the motivation to be healthier.

progress report
mile 14 minutes 55 seconds
weight 225

No comments: