WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM OF THE BIRDS

we're just a family of finches making our way in the town w/o a frown.

Friday, February 15, 2008

it's friday i'm in love

i started reteaching myself to knit a while back. by reteach i mean, my granny was an avid knitter, and when i was little she would sit me on her lap and let me "knit". when i was about 7ish she began to teach me how to knit. of course all i ever made were really strange rectangles. i have also begun teaching myself how to crochet. i learned to crochet when i lived at the children's home roughly 20 years ago. i crocheted everyone wash cloths for christmas this year, and a few years back i knitted everyone scarves. please don't think that i am knocking either of these noble projects, but they really aren't that difficult. they were and are what they needed to be "beginner projects". about a month i decided that i needed to expand my project list. this is the result:


in case you can't tell it is a hat. i needed a model, so that everyone could get the full effect, but her highness is napping. i found something else that could model since bruno had no interest.

i wanted everyone to see that it actually required shaping. both increasing and decreasing of stitches were required. you can't see it in the pictures, but there is also ribbing on the bottom rim of the hat.
remember if you can't say anything nice please don't say anything at all. i'm still really stoked that i made this. i'm very proud of my self, which if you know me, really is impressive. i forgot to put that hot cup also sent me a copy of taste of home. i love that magazine and voraciously went through it as soon as i found it. i hope everyone has a great weekend. i hear that we have a chance of snow. i hope we get some. woo hoo.

6 comments:

happy preacher said...

great job! It looks perfect. Now where's mine?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

that is so sweet! Totally something that I cannot do!

Gator World!! said...

I think it looks fantastic!!! Way to go!!!

Leah of RamFam said...

Very cool! If I was able to teach myself to do it, anybody can. If I could just find the time... :)

Leah of RamFam said...

Pretty cakes in your new profile pic! You really are a Martha Stewart! Knitting, Crocheting, baking, decorating beautiful cakes! Wow! I'm impressed. :)

Rosemond said...

I am thoroughly impressed! Praying for your sweet neice...