WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM OF THE BIRDS

we're just a family of finches making our way in the town w/o a frown.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

i ain't no fortunate son

i have never had all my wants fulfilled, but all of my needs are met. i grew up poor and on the way wrong side of the tracks, but i was privileged all the same. this is a meme about privileges. some of the later ones are mostly about money, but the ones at the beginning are the real privileges. they are the ones that money can't buy. my grandpa used to say his favorite quote was by abe lincoln "you know that God loved poor people best, that is why he made so many of them." my granny used to say that there are some things money couldn't buy like manners and kindness. they also taught me that true wealth has nothing to do with the numbers in your bank account. true wealth is an education, having Christ as your savior, and family. they taught me that these were the things that really mattered. anyway i ramble, here it is:
I saw this on another blog and wanted to share. here's how you play

Copy and paste to your blog if you wish to play. Bold the ones that apply to your childhood.Please feel free to add any of your own.

*Learned to cook or bake before age 12 with a family member.
*Had a pet growing up and *experienced its death, as well as life.
*Witnessed puppies or kittens being born or got to keep an eye on a nest until the eggs hatched and the birds flew.
*Helped plant seeds or plants in a garden and then eat the vegetables fresh. Bonus if you ate a tomato fresh off the vine!
* Lived within 10 miles of a grandparent.
*Can remember having homemade ice cream in the summer.
* Went on nature hikes with a family member. Extra credit if you collected stuff, licked the drops off of honeysuckle or skimmed rocks across the water.
*This one is a bit out there, but you have blown bubbles through a bamboo pole into a pond, creak, lake or river. If you have never done this, please do it before you die. The smell, sound, feel is wonderful.(perhaps you have one of equal weirdness)
*Had a special tradition for Thanksgiving or Christmas that was passed down.
* Built a snow person or rode a sled with sibling, parent, grandparent, or aunt/uncle.
* Had homemade hot cocoa (recipe on Hershey container) as a child.
*Had an article(s) clothing that was handmade by family member or family friend.
*Lived in a town where RC cola and Moon Pies could be purchased at a local store.
* You were taken fishing before you were 13.
*Had a pen pal growing up.
*Know a family recipe by heart
* A trip to town usually meant you got a quarter to ride on the carousel at K-mart.
* You were encouraged to memorize scripture.
* Played Hop-scotch, Marbles, or Annie Over as a child.
*Drove through a local neighborhood, charity or business to see Christmas light display.

Father went to college.
Father finished college.
Mother went to college.
Mother finished college.
Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor.
Were the same or higher social class than your high school teachers.
Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
Were read children’s books by a parent.
Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 .

Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18.
The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively.
Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18.
Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs.
Went to a private high school.
your parents paid for the majority or your college.
had a private tutor before age of 18.
Went to summer camp.
family vacations involved staying in motels
Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18. your parents bought you a car that wasn't a hand me down from them before you turned 18
There was original art in your house when you were a child.
your parents owned the home you lived in before you left home.
You and your family lived in a single-family house.
You had your own room as a child.
You had a phone in your room before you turned 18.
Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course.
Had your own TV in your room in high school.
Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college.
Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16.
Went on a cruise with your family.
Went on more than one cruise with your family.
your parents took you to museums and art galleries while you were growing up.
You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family.

some of these are tricky, my first car was a hand me down from my brother. my granny, aunt jane, mother, sister cindy are all teachers, but that isn't a professor. when i lived with my grandparents and at the children's home certain things like, piano lessons, memorizing scripture, summer camp, and other things like that happened. keep in mind that i knew little to nothing about my father until about 3 years ago. i haven't "lived" with my mom since i was 9, and i haven't lived with my dad since i was 4. what are some "privileges" that you had growing up?
here are a few of mine:

knowing the value of hard work-my grandpa made sure that we all worked with him painting houses any time we were there.

knowing that someone believed in me when no one else did-i planted bird seed and everyone told me that it wouldn't grow, but my grandpa made sure that i watered it and took care of it. by the end of the summer i had grown a little garden.

knowing what neighbors should act like-my granny always encouraged me to bake goodies for the neighbors, and to welcome anyone who moved in nearby.

learning how to make something with my own hands-my granny taught me how to knit, sew, embroider and cook before i was 13. my grandpa taught me how to rescreen a door, paint a house, scrape old paint off, and take care of a yard.

seeing God in everything
learning to appreciate nature

2 comments:

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Wow, that is some list! I only did some of them as a kid. My parents were not the best and most family oriented things didn't happen. But I did grow up in the south (which I consider a true blessing!) and my friends and I spent so much time catching crawdaddies, riding horses and exploring the woods it more than made up for bad times.
I am so impressed with your grandparents. What great people!

DyessFam said...

I too love your list! Yep, it'll be 8 years in October. Sorry, I know that's still a bit away, but it is inching closer. So, congrats on the almost 10 years! I'll have to keep a close eye on the date. Maybe you could post a reminder for forgetfuls like me?;)